6/17/2007

I've been tagged: 8 things About Me

Dharma Mama tagged me to tell 8 things about myself. If you're interested, I was also tagged at my adoption blog Forever Parents and I wrote eight things about my adoption journey.

1. I'm a second generation American. My grandparents were born in Sicily, Italy. I'm Italian on both sides actually. I closely identify with my heritage and speak a little Italian. My father spoke it fluently but not much around me, except the curses. lol

2. I'm a native New Yorker, from Brooklyn (Bensonhurst). Yes, I'm the typical Italian girl from Brooklyn. Fugedaboudit! Think Sopranos meets Goodfellas, minus the killing. lol

3. We moved to Florida about four months after September 11th. Not for that reason though. We had planned it before that day. I documented our experience during September 11 and the aftermath in a website called I Love New York. We lost two friends, and countless neighbors and aquaintances that day.

4. I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years. Back when I started, I was the only one I knew. lol

5. I was a punk rocker back in the day. Mohawk and all. Some of my favorite bands were Black Flag, The Sex Pistols, The Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, The Dead Boys & Generation X. I've been to CBGB's more times that I even remember and loved every minute of those days. I met a ton of great people and have very good memories. :-)

6. I'm still a head banger. Metallica, Godsmack, Sevendust, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Anthrax etc. I've been a big Ace Frehley fan since the 70's and had the pleasure of hanging out with the spaceman a few times. :-)

7. I was raised Roman Catholic (kinda ties in with the Italian-Brooklyn thing) but I've been agnostic my entire adult life. I've recently become interested in Buddhism and enjoy reading Thich Nhat Han. He makes me feel calm, which I need. lol

8. My husband still takes my breathe away when he kisses me. :-)

I'm going to go through the list of participants from the last Unschooling Voices and see who hasn't been tagged yet (don't want anybody to be left out) so watch out for me to tag you!!

8 comments:

Ren Allen said...

Ah, another connection my dear. I also identify strongly with buddhism...Zen Buddhism to be exact. But I don't think I'll ever call myself a Buddhist.

I'll be my own Buddha thank you.:)

Joanne said...

Funny you say that, I've had people ask me if I believe in god and I've told them that I am my own god.

(((Big hug to my head banging-vegetarian-unschooling-likes Buddhism friend))) LOL

Hanley Family said...

Interesting music. Although you might like some of the music I listened to "back in the day." Violent Femmes, The Cure, Die Toten Hosen (German punk), and that other one. But I can't think of it right now. It has been a long time, but I do miss my Violent Femmes cds.

I never did do anything different with my hair. But I had this blond streak near the front. I always had a fascination with dying the rest of my hair black and leaving that blond. It would have fit well with the all black dress I took to for a brief period before everyone started doing it.

Joanne said...

Yes, I did like the VF. I think they're actually touring this summer. I also liked the Bush Tetras, Husker Du, Lydia Lunch & of course, Iggy Pop. :-)

Man!! I gotta get my albums out now!! :-)

Tracy Million Simmons said...

Hey! Thanks for the tag. I think this has morphed a bit, but I did 8 things in May and I'll link you there http://goobmom23.blogspot.com/2007/05/crazy-eight.html

I'm drawn to a lot of Buddha reading, too, but in the end I think I prefer my own mix-matched take on things. Nice getting to know you better. Thanks!

Joanne said...

Your welcome! :-)

piscesgrrl said...

Thanks for tagging me! I was also recently tagged by someone else and did it on my other blog at http://www.piscesgrrrl.blogspot.com/... check it ouuuuut. Fun to learn more about you!

Holly said...

Hi Joanne, I just finally! got around to this. Thanks for tagging me way back when. We've had a lot going on - moving to Europe (temporarily) and lots and lots of travel. Finally settling down and doing some writing again.
Anyway, I am also a New Yorker. I grew up in Elmont (by the Belmont racetrack). My grandfather was a bookie. He grew up in Brooklyn, as did the grandparents on my other side too. We're a sort of Jewish, Baltic, Scandinavian mix, but everyone I grew up with was Italian or Irish Catholic (or both).
And I also spent a lot of time in the Village as a teenager. I used to waitress at the Bleecker Street Bar which is owned by a friend of mine. So it was funny to read your tag response and also to see your recent pictures from NYC!
Take care, Holly
http://unschoolgirls.blogspot.com/2007/10/tagged.html