5/29/2006

Quotes on schooling

Some quotes on schooling that I like:

"It is nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom; without this it goes to wreak and ruin. It is a very grave mistake to think that the enjoyment of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty."
-Albert Einstein

"Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of the originality."
- Beatrix Potter

"A child only educated at school in an uneducated one."
-George Santayana

"Education is what you must acquire without any interference from your schooling."
-Mark Twain

"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself."
-George Bernard Shaw "

"Schools and schooling are increasingly irrelevant to the great enterprises of the planet. No one believes any more that scientists are trained in science classes or politicians in civics classes or poets in English classes. The truth is that schools don't really teach anything except how to obey orders."
-John Taylor Gatto

"My grandmother wanted me to have an education, so she kept me out of school.
-Margaret Mead

And this one that someone posted at an unschooling board:

"Drop out of school before your mind rots from exposure to our mediocre educational system. Forget about the Senior Prom and go to the library and educate yourself if you've got any guts."
-Frank Zappa, ca. 1968

I's like to add this one also. It from my daughter Shawna

"Home is better"

-Shawna (age 10), when asked by her former public school teacher why she liked being homeschooled.


Related Tags: , ,

0 comments: